Sunday, December 20, 2009

God showed up today....

On our normal way to church and school, there is a huge area of road that always floods. So, we decided to go a different way to church this morning. It was longer, but we were actually ahead of schedule (I'm sure some of you are thinking... yeah right!!!). I knew a short cut, but Randy said that he was afraid it might be icy. We went the long way instead.

As we were driving down the road, I glanced to my right and saw an elderly woman laying in her yard in the snow and ice. I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me, but I told Randy to turn around. When we went back, we saw her. She was old and frail and waving at us. We pulled in to find her barefoot. Her slippers had come off. She had nothing on her hands, and she only had on a gown and a housecoat. She was literally freezing.

Her first response was, "Thank you. I've been praying that God would send someone by and see me." Our first try was not successful because she couldn't feel her feet to help us. After 2 tries of us each holding one hand, Randy got behind her and pulled. We got her up. She just hugged us and kept telling us thank you for helping her. We got her inside, and her husband was trying to come outside with his oxygen tank on his walker. It broke my heart.

She assured us that she didn't break anything. She was only ice cold. We checked her paper box, and there wasn't one. We told her that we would come back by after church and check again. We did, and it was there. :) Randy took it in, and said that it felt like 100 degrees in their house. I was just thankful they had heat.

You see... if we had gone our normal way this morning, she might have died from hypothermia. God showed up by sending us by her house. What a wonderful way to start our Christmas celebration. He also showed us that helping her helped ourselves even more. What a blessing it was to have a stranger hug us!

God bless you Mrs. Myrtle!!! We'll be back to check on you!!!

1 comment:

Kristi said...

This story is incredible. I do believe God must have sent you that way.